Submit Express Newsletter #76 (November 2010)
elcome to the latest edition of the Submit Express newsletter, where we share the latest news about our company and the rapidly-evolving worlds of search engine optimization (SEO) and social media. Even though the calendar year is winding down, things are just heating up at Submit Express! We're continuing to help thousands of clients with their digital marketing needs. In addition, we're hitting some of the leading tradeshows and conferences in the space, giving us a chance to meet with current and potential clients along with share ideas with other industry leaders.
In this newsletter, you can read more about Submit Express' trip to the ad:tech New York show earlier this month. It's a premier digital marketing and advertising conference, and Submit Express had a very successful show. Our President and CEO Pierre Zarokian gave a highly-regarded speech on Reputation Management at the Monitoring Social Media event in San Francisco on October 21. Pierre also contributed a chapter to the new eBook "The How to Make a Blog Book" from show's organizer and co-founder Murray Newlands. You can read this section featuring 10 great tips for bloggers to enhance their SEO below and learn how to order a copy of the book.
Pierre will also be at the AffCon Miami show from December 8-10, where he will be speaking to some of the top affiliate marketers in the industry about the importance of lead quality. This follows up his successful speech at PubCon 2010 earlier this month.
In this issue read about:
Top 10 SEO Tips for Bloggers
By Pierre Zarokian, CEO/President Submit Express, Inc.
as featured in the eBook "How to Make a Blog Book"
- I always recommend using an off-the-shelf blog program rather than joining a blog network like blogger.com. This is because off-the-shelf software tends to provide increased flexibility in regards to SEO and the many SEO plug-ins available for installation.
- Always come up with a few relevant, targeted keywords and use them once or twice in your post.
- The subject or title of your post is the most important place to put a keyword, so keep that in mind and use keywords in your titles.
- Never copy anyone's post or news from other sites and post word-by-word. This will create duplicate content issues. Rather, if you are going to post a news story, write it from scratch. Try to give credit to the source to be nice; however, this may work in negative fashion for you because you now gave a free link to another story which may end up ranking better than yours. However, you also need to comply with copyright issues and most news organizations have rights to their news and may require you to give them credit. One possible solution would be to give credit to the source and link to their main page rather than the article itself.
- Stay on topic with your blog and write informative content. Don't try to cover too many unrelated subjects in one blog as this might confuse a search engine which is trying to figure out what your blog is about and its category.
- Post on a regular basis. Fresh content may outrank older content. In addition, Google also has a Blog Search Engine and there are many other blog search engines out there which give preference to new content.
- Use social bookmarking sites such as Digg, Delicious and StumbleUpon to bookmark your posts. You may get additional traffic and links from the coverage.
- Install social bookmarking plug-ins in your blog so your visitors can also bookmark your posts. AddThis.com offers such a plug-in.
- Announce your new blog posts on your social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter. The more coverage you get means the more traffic and links you may get. You can even automate some of this. You could autotweet your blog posts with a tool such as twitterfeed.com. You can also autopost your blog posts in LinkedIn and Facebook with their applications.
- Build as many links to your blog as possible. If your blog has many links and ranks well, almost any content you post will also rank well. Some ideas would be to trade links with similar blogs from their blog roll or trade blog posts with other bloggers. Guest blogging is also a great idea. Many bloggers will allow you to provide them free content and in return you get a free link from the post.
Hear Submit Express President and CEO Pierre Zarokian at AffCon2010
Submit Express President and CEO Pierre Zarokian is one of the most respected figures in the SEO industry, having built a company which has helped thousands of clients improve their rankings on major search engines through the targeted use of search engine optimization tactics. Now you can have a chance to learn some tips and tricks from Zarokian at the AffCon 2010 event, held at the Fairmont Turnberry Isle Resort and Club in Miami from December 8-10.
You'll have two chances to hear Zarokian give his insights on future developments in the SEO industry along with tips and tricks for how to improve your own site's visibility with the major search engines. Zarokian will be presenting a session entitled "Cutting Edge Lead Gen Tactics: Lead Quality in Affiliate Marketing" on December 9 at 3 p.m. and also participating in the "SEO 101 Search Roundtable" on December 10 at 9 a.m.
AffCon 2010 Miami is one of the largest trade shows and conferences for the affiliate marketing industry. It is an advanced event that covers some of the most up to date forms of marketing and technologies for successful website promotion. For more information about the show or to register, visit http://affcon2010.com.
ad:tech New York is a Success for Submit Express!
Submit Express wants to thank everyone who took the time to visit us at our boot at ad:tech New York on November 3-4. The show was a smash hit, bringing together some of the leading minds in the digital marketing, advertising and social media worlds.
The show is one of the largest digital advertising shows in the industry and attending gave us a chance to learn new advertising, marketing and social media tools and tactics from some of the top names in the industry. In addition, we had the chance to meet with many people on the show floor, making connections and sharing our own insight into the SEO world.
Yahoo! Announces Local Search, Social Media Enhancements
Yahoo! is getting more heavily involved in local search, as PC World reports that the search giant has launched a program called Local Offers which will offer Yahoo! users special deals targeted to their demographic market. According to a Yahoo! press release, initial partners for Local Offers include Groupon, LivingSocial and Coupons.com.
Yahoo! also announced new local search enhancements, including new "Quick Apps" features designed to allow people to hone in on local areas of interest during searches. A new Yahoo! Sketch-a-Search feature will let people visually narrow down search results for popular destinations like restaurants. Other local search enhancements will let people compare local restaurants and let people make reservations through OpenTable right on the Yahoo! Search results page.
In addition to expanding local search, Yahoo! also announced new social media products and services. A new global rollout of Yahoo! Messenger allows users to play social games from publishers like Zynga, ELEX and OMGPOP, share their status across networks, and view, comment on, and "like" updates from Yahoo! Pulse, Flickr, Facebook, and Twitter.
"Our job is to connect you with the people, places and things that matter most to you - whether that's making a restaurant reservation, finding a discounted tee time, or playing popular online games with friends," said Blake Irving, executive vice president and chief product officer, Yahoo!. "By enhancing Yahoo!'s most popular sites and services with social experiences like Zynga and Twitter, great local content, and a new platform for sharing your voice with the world, we're making Yahoo! an even better place for everyone to stay entertained, productive, and informed."
Retailers Taking Advantage of Facebook Deals
PROMO Magazine reports that many leading retailers are taking advantage of the new Facebook Deals app to market directly to customers who are already near their stores. Taking advantage of the Facebook Places app for many smartphones, retailers such as Gap, McDonald's and Macy's are delivering personalized deals to customers when they "check in" that they are at or near a certain location.
Facebook Places lets users share their locations with friends. Facebook Deals gives them the ability to view deals at nearby businesses through their smartphone and instantly take advantage of the deals without printing out a coupon. For example, Gap stores gave away blue jeans to the first 10,000 customers to take advantage of a Facebook Deals offer, leading to lines forming outside of a New York store by 8 a.m.
Other retailers are tying their charitable causes to Facebook Deals. McDonald's is donating one dollar to the Ronald McDonald House Charities for each person who uses Facebook Deals at their restaurant. Starbucks is going a similar route, donating one dollar for every Facebook Deals customer to Conservation International.
Twitter Rolls Out Advertising in User Streams via Hootesuite
The next phase of the monetization of Twitter has arrived, according to AdAge. The magazine reports that the micro-blogging site has started the process of dropping advertisements into the streams of Twitter users who access the site through the third-party Twitter client Hootesuite.
According to AdAge, Twitter started the rollout in early November with advertising for a handful of companies including Virgin, Starbucks and Red Bull. More than 900,000 users of Hootesuite began seeing graphic advertising messages appear along with Tweets from friends in their stream. AdAge reports that Hootesuite will receive a share of the advertising revenue generated by Twitter in exchange for allowing the ads.
How will the public react to seeing the online ads in their Twitter feeds? Leading social media marketing consultant Jason Fells said that many long-time users could "blast Twitter for selling out their streams. There will be calls to boycott and the like." However, ExpertLabs co-founder Anil Dash said that the key will be how Twitter handles the initial backlash from the hardcore users.
"The key question is how [Twitter] handles the response, whether they actually iterate and listen, and whether people's behaviors on Twitter are welcoming of brands in general," said Dash. "Lots of the celebs and companies people follow are 'brands' anyway, and a huge number of Twitter users accept default suggested Tweeters (like me) as an acceptable level of noise in their experience amidst the people they've chosen to follow."
Is your site anywhere to be found in the search engines? Do you need to be in the top 10 of search engines, but don't know how? Are you tired of trying everything you possibly can and still are nowhere to be found?
If you need help getting your site in the top 10 of major search engines, please check out our search engine optimization services:
We can also give you free advice when you order our 75,000+ Search Engine Submission. We will visit your site and send you a list of suggestions on how to improve your rankings.
Don't just submit your site to the search engines, Submit it Right.